YMCA of Lethbridge is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Lethbridge!
YMCA of Lethbridge opened its doors in 1910, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where of thousands children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities.
We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA of Lethbridge staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work, we deliver health and wellness programs, Aquatic and Fitness Leadership programs, community outreach, Preschool and Youth Day Camps, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the YMCA and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Lethbridge, we will expand our impact operating a new facility, The Cor Van Raay YMCA in 2019. This amazing new space will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
How will you make an impact? Who will you become at the YMCA?
A career built on great values
Summer Day Camp Counselor
Employment Date: Mid–June 2018 to August 24th, 2018 Position: Hourly Salary Range: $13.80 per hour Hours: Must be available to attend some day time and evening training between June 18th – 29th, 2018 and work day camp shifts between 7:20am-5:30pm, Monday to Friday, for the duration of summer day camps.
Situation: The YMCA of Lethbridge offers day camp programs for children from 3 to 16 years of age. We offer a variety of camps, for all ages, with different learning experiences. We are planning many activities and trips during these camps, and promise a fun-filled summer for children and youth attending.
Nature and Scope: The incumbent will be guiding children in their physical, social, mental, and emotional development in accordance with the philosophy of the YMCA of Lethbridge.
- Providing constant care and supervision of all campers, ensuring a safe and fun camp program, including participation in daily swims
- Implementing the day camp program as planned
- Acting in a manner that is in accordance with the YMCA mission statement
- Conducting all principal requirements of the position, as detailed in the Summer Day Camp Counselor job description
- Attending all staff meetings
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C”, condition of employment
- Current Criminal Record check including the Vulnerable Sector through the City of Lethbridge Police Department, condition of employment
- Current Child Welfare Check, condition of employment
- Experience as a camp counselor, or related experience working with children preferred
- Experience in planning and delivering recreational, sport, and outdoor education programs
- A high level of maturity
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Good interpersonal skills
- YMCA camp leadership training preferred
Child and Youth Focused – Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Concern for Health and Safety – Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values – Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of, and appreciation for, the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Quality Focus – Ensures that the YMCA programs and services are superior
Teamwork – Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness
Please apply, in writing, with a resume and cover letter, by March 23rd ,2018 to:
Kristen Hatfield Manager of Youth and Family Programs YMCA of Lethbridge 515 Stafford Drive South Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 2L3
Only those who are being interviewed will be contacted. This position has been posted both internally & externally.
Posted: December 2017
Manager of Fitness
YMCA of Lethbridge
Manager of Fitness
Salary: $41,000 – $46,000
Closing Date: February 20, 2018
Nature and Scope
Join us in Building a Healthier Community!
The YMCA of Lethbridge opened its doors in 1910 and has since evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities as a regular part of their efforts to become healthier and connected to family and community.
We pride ourselves on being much more than a local recreation facility – we are part of a national federation of Canadian YMCA’s and YMCA-YWCA’s that ensures that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. We strive daily to build a healthier community for people at all ages and stages of life.
The YMCA of Lethbridge currently provides services in health, fitness & aquatics, day camping, leadership development and opportunities to give.
Currently, the YMCA of Lethbridge serves approximately 3000 annual members in our branch on Stafford Drive South. In 2019, we will be expanding our services to the Cor Van Raay YMCA on the west side of Lethbridge, and as a result are expanding our staffing compliment to include a Manager of Fitness Programming.
Reporting to the Director of Health and Wellness, the Manager of Fitness Programming the Fitness Director provides direct leadership in our initiatives to provide a superior experience to our members. Implementing our Member Retention Strategy and using our Membership Involvement Model, the Programs Specialist identifies initiatives to increase Membership on Roll, Retention, Satisfaction, and Philanthropic contributions in the membership areas, and assists with a specific project or portion of the department functions.
This permanent, full time position offers a high degree of independence and placement is anticipated for Spring 2018
- Lead, and adapt as needs change with, the opening of the new facility in 2019 by contributing to the development of a comprehensive operational readiness plan and program development to support an expanding membership and increased staff component related to fitness programming.
- Develops, implements, updates timely and appropriate fitness program information and schedules for marketing and communication purposes.
- Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates processes and systems impacting the experience of members in group/individual fitness programs. Tracking program attendance, using member surveys, focus groups and on-line feedback forms for potential program/schedule changes.
- Conduct interviews and staff training for all new Fitness recruits to provide quality service and stay within department budget.
- Provides timely staff and volunteer evaluation/performance reviews, coaching, ensures certification requirements are completed/documented and carries out disciplinary actions/terminations when required.
- Ensure programs/classes are covered by certified qualified instructors. Support and deliver any coverage needed to avoid cancellation.
- Maintains and repurposes program areas and equipment in an orderly, timely and safe manner according to YMCA SAM standards and guidelines. Purchases and changes must meet changing trends and member demands.
- Organize staff/volunteer meetings to communicate department and facility updates, provide/receive feedback and provide any training necessary.
- Delivers and/or assists with YMCA Fitness Leadership Courses and apprenticeship of YMCA Fitness Leadership Program when required by the Director of Health and Wellness.
- Acts as a facility leader as a Manager on Duty when required.
- Attends scheduled Senior Staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Annual departmental budget development and management with the Director of Health and Wellness.
- Follow YMCA Priority SAM standards and implement continuous improvement processes as required by the association.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child and vulnerable adult abuse to Child and Family Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer-staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Continuing a strong communication foundation with all staff to promote fitness, health and wellness.
- Builds relationship with members and seeks opportunities to share the YMCA story. Educates members and guests on the YMCA as a Charity.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviors in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Diploma or Degree in Recreation Leadership, Kinesiology, Physical Education or related field preferred.
- Management experience is an asset.
- YMCA\AFLCA Group Fitness certification (may include: Cycle, Aqua, Resistance, Choreography, Yoga).
- YMCA\AFLCA Personal Trainer certification.
- Previous experience in development and implementation of new programs an asset.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills; ability to encourage, motivate staff and volunteers, acknowledge and appreciate contributions.
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR with AED required.
- YMCA Trainer certification an asset.
- Current WHMIS certification preferred.
- Basic knowledge with computer software including Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of staff, volunteers and members: including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- Candidate must present with a flexible work schedule which includes hours on weekends, evenings and early mornings
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Intervention Check issued no later than 3 months preceding your start date.
This position requires the following Core Association Competencies:
Advanced competence in:
- Relationship Building and Partnering
- Effective Interpersonal Communications
- Ethics & Self-Management
- Being Member Focused
- Being Results Focused
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Diversity and Social Inclusion.
- Relevant required training costs paid
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and Extended Health package after 3 months FT employment
- 5% Pension eligible after 2 years FT employment
- YMCA Family membership
- Reduced cost for YMCA Day Camps, facility rentals and other approved programs
To apply, send cover letter, resume with 3 professional (work related) references to:
Attention: Pamela Haapa-aho
The YMCA of Lethbridge is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.