Virtual-19 Be Active for Strong Kids Challenge
The YMCA will be holding an awareness and fundraising event for Strong Kids for anyone to participate in.
Not knowing when our reopening date is, our YMCA VIRTUAL-19 BE ACTIVE FOR STRONG KIDS CHALLENGE, will be running from July 1- August 31.
The purpose of this event is to keep the YMCA and participants active on social media, build Strong Kids awareness, and raise a little bit of money while being active and a having fun. It would be amazing to have staff, volunteers, members, and the community all participate and support our charitable cause.
What is the challenge?
- Participants who register are to complete 19 days of an activity that makes them feel good, gets them moving, and puts a smile on their face.
- ALL activities are accepted. We will provide some suggestions, but activities are not limited to the list provided. Be creative, we will not turn any idea away.
- The only requirement is that participants try to complete 19 days. There is no time requirement or quantity requirement – do what you can and feels healthy.
- The 19 days need to fall between July 1 – August 31 and do not have to be consecutive.
- Having people build activity – in any form – into daily routines to become healthy is our ultimate goal.
How does social media come into this challenge?
- During physical distancing and not knowing our reopening date, we want to socially connect with our members and community. The best way for now is to post pictures and messages through different social media platforms.
- Participants will receive a challenge T-shirt and a specific challenge tracking calendar before they start their 19 days.
- Every time they complete a daily activity, they post a picture with their calendar marked off with what they did (hopefully wearing their shirt), a comment (optional), and tag the YMCA of Lethbridge so we see it. #YMCA19StrongKids
- For every post they make (some may not post all 19 days) their name will be entered into a draw at the end of the challenge (August 31). Everyone is guaranteed 1 entry with their initial registration, even if they do not post on social media.
- YMCA staff and volunteers will also post and tag #YMCA19StrongKids so members can see our familiar faces.
- All participants are welcome to do peer-to-peer challenges, asking friends and family to join the challenge or donate to Strong Kids (optional).
- Wait! I don’t have social media – what do I do? Take that picture of your daily activity and email it to either Pam or Cass ([email protected] or [email protected] with the subject line of YMCA19StrongKids and we will count that as an entry into our draw.
How do I register?
- Registration for the challenge starts on Monday, June 15th, with the last day to register being August 31st. The challenge starts July 1st!
- Registration forms will be located on the YMCA of Lethbridge Website under Programs; you do not need to be a member to register.
- Registration fee is $35, and includes:
- T-shirt (first 120 registrants are guaranteed a shirt, but sizes are first-come, first-serve and are in adult sizes only)
- Tracking calendar for 19 days
- One entry into draw prizes
- Registration is open to all ages – we want families to be active together – but fees only apply to those ages 16+ and receiving shirts.
Where do I pick up my shirt?
- After our re-opening on July 18, all package pick-ups can happen at our Membership Service Desk.
The YMCA is a registered charity and donations are always accepted. Anyone, whether participating in the challenge or enjoying all the posts from afar, can also donate on behalf of the Virtual-19 Be Active for Strong Kids challenge. Any gifts made, in excess of the registration fee of $35, will qualify for a YMCA Donation tax receipt. Donations are always accepted by going to our website and clicking on Give or Give Now.
If you are not a current YMCA member, you must create a profile as a non-member to register for this program. If you have any trouble registering, please contact Pam at 403-942-5762 or via email at [email protected] or Cass at 403-942-5749 or via email at [email protected]