Your child is a part of a bigger picture – your family and your community. Your child benefits from YMCA staff and volunteers getting to know the full picture of the child to minimize barriers and give meaningful support.
- Your child builds relationships with YMCA staff and volunteers that place Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility as the cornerstones of all interactions.
- Your child’s opinions and contributions are valued.
- Your child is treated as an active participant in their own learning.
- Your child has meaningful opportunities to help others and to participate in community building.
- Your child’s right to make choices for themselves are respected and encouraged.
What does your child do in YMCA swimming lessons?
- Your child meets new people and builds relationships with peers, and supportive caring young people and adults. Your child learns and plays. Your child improves his or her health in spirit, mind and body.
What is YMCA Swim Instruction (YSI) lessons?
Learning is done through strength-based progression. A system that acknowledges and embraces different learning styles to create positive outcomes not just only just for your child, but the other participants as well. Our instructors teach the three principles of play, health, and relationship building, supported by the six frameworks of developmental assets, YMCA values, harm reduction, transtheoretical model of change, developmentally appropriate learning, and the determinants of health.
Group Swim Lessons - Ages 3-16
When your child learns to swim, they gain an important life-long skill that may someday save their life, or the life of someone else.
Private Swim Lessons
Work one-on-one, or in a small group, with an aquatics instructor to assess and improve your swimming skills. Private lessons are designed to meet individuals needs and abilities, or can follow YMCA Swim Program. Lessons are offered at various times depending on pool and instructor availability. Please contact the Aquatic Director to book a session or if you have any questions.
Swim Club - Ages 8-15
FREE Program for Members Only.
This class is for youth who wish to work on stroke technique and endurance. This program is full of fun and games as well! This is a great option for youth that are looking to gain more strength and/or to keep their already acquired skill set. Requirement: must be able to swim two lengths continuously.
Junior Lifeguard Club - Ages 8-15
FREE program for members only.
This program is for all youth between the ages of 8-15 years, interested in active living and having serious fun. JLC members are encouraged to develop skills based on personal bests in swimming, lifesaving, fitness, knowledge, leadership and teamwork. This program provides high activity challenges in an energetic club environment both on deck and in the pool! Friends and family members can join together even if they are different ages and abilities. Members may also be introduced to competitive lifesaving activities.